Energy Conservation in San Diego
With skyrocketing utility rates, who can’t afford to use less energy? Here is a few tips on how to save energy (and money) this winter. By using these tips, energy conservation in San Diego is a breeze!
- First, switch to LED lighting! On average, LED lights use much less energy than other CFL and incandescent bulbs. They also have a significantly longer lifespan saving you even more money. The biggest change you can do to your lighting consumption is actually as easy as switching the bulb you buy after your next burnout!
- This sounds easy, but remember to turn your lights off when you leave the room. According to the US Department of Energy, you should turn off the lights every time you are not in the room if you have incandescent bulbs, as 90% of the energy they use is released as heat. This will not only affect energy usage, but will cool down the room when the lights are not in use!
- Temperature matters! In the summer, air conditioning is a huge weight on energy usage, and in the winter heating does the same. Adjusting the thermostat just a few degrees in each season can save a lot of money.
- Unplug your appliances when not in use! Did you know that simply by being plugged in, appliances and technology are still using significant amounts of energy?
- Smart technology is becoming more popular each year. Smart power strips that turn off usage when not needed can prevent a phenomenon called “phantom loads” and stop electricity use. According to EnergySage, ”75% of the energy used to power household electronics is consumed when they are switched off.”
Saving serious amounts of energy starts with efficient technology and personal behavior change. Once you realize these actions can have immediate and significant changes in your monthly electricity bills, you will never look back!
If you are interested in looking at commercial or large scale usage and where energy can be saved, reach out to us! We offer custom energy audits for large scale properties, giving comprehensive information on easy switches to save money and go green. We make energy conservation in San Diego easy!